The Macworld Lab at Expo
Macworld Expo isn’t just about Apple and the company’s new products. There’s a lot of new hardware from third-parties at the show that are deserving of attention.
In this special From the Lab edition of the Macworld Podcast, I talk to the Macworld Lab Director James Galbraith and Macworld assistant editor (and games guy) Chris Holt. We’ll talk about a few hardware products that have caught their collective eye, from a Lab point of view.
The podcast ends with a discussion of the elephant in the room-Apple’s new 17-inch MacBook Pro.
Download Episode #145
• AAC version (9.3 MB, 20 minutes)
• MP3 version (9 MB, 20 minutes)
To subscribe to the Macworld Podcast via iTunes 4.9 or later, simply click here. Or you can point your favorite podcast-savvy RSS reader at:
You can find previous episodes of our audio podcasts at Macworld's podcasting page.
Got any feedback on this podcast? Send an e-mail to Christopher Breen; audio comments in the form of an AAC or MP3 file are particularly welcome. You can also leave us a message at 415/520-9761 if you'd like to have your comments included in a future podcast.
From the Lab is our blog that has latest hardware reviews and testing straight from Macworld Lab.
The products we talk about in the podcast:
- NEC's CRVD 42DWX curved 42-inch DLP display doesn't seem to be on NEC's site. Here's a Google image search. Or you can check NEC later.
- LaCie's Hard Disk Max, Design by Neil Poulton is a two-disk RAID array with 2TB capacity and a USB 2.0 connection.
- Konica Minolta's magicolor 1650EN is a $299 color laser printer. It's not yet on the Konica Minolta Web site.
- Iomega's Home Media Network Hard Drive gives you a central point on your home network to access photos, videos, music, and more.
- Western Digital's WD TV connects to your HDTV and allows you to plug in a Western Digital hard drive with HD video. You can then watch the video on the HDTV.
- We talked very briefly about HP's MediaSmart Server, which was a recipient of the Macworld Expo Best of Show 2009.
We talk at length about the 17-inch MacBook Pro. Chris Holt has the lowdown on the specifications and the customization options. Aayush Arya wrote about his first impressions of the 17-inch MacBook Pro. You can also visit Apple’s 17-inch MacBook Pro product page for more information.
As soon as the 17-inch MacBook Pro is available, we’ll get our hands on one and have a full suite of benchmark tests, including battery life. Stay tuned.
This podcast is sponsored by Macworld Superguides.