A less-expensive MobileMe subscription
Reader Rob would like to save some money on MobileMe. He writes:
I signed up for MobileMe’s free 60-day trial period and I want to purchase a subscription when the trial is over. However, I set up the trial through Apple but I want to purchase my subscription from Amazon because it’s cheaper. If I switch, will I lose all my settings, my user name, etc.?
Smart thinking. Currently a MobileMe subscription at Amazon is going for $58.55 versus Apple’s $99 a year. When you purchase that MobileMe subscription from Amazon you’ll receive a box that contains an activation code (yes, hardly a green way to go though you could always recycle the box and activation slip).
Once you have that activation code, travel to me.com, log into your trial account, click on your name in the top-right corner of your browser, and select Account. Enter your password in the resulting page and click Continue. Click the Billing Info entry on the page that appears. On that page click the Apply Activation Key button. Finally, in the page that appears, enter your activation key in the space provided and enable the Apply to an Existing Account option. Click Continue and you’re on your way to full membership.
This also works for those who wish to extend existing MobileMe subscriptions.
- Almost immediate synchronization to iPhones and the Web
- Increased (20GB) online storage
- Existing .Mac customers automatically transferred to new service with me.com addresses
- Advanced Web interface for online services
- “Push” sync not yet working with Mac applications
- Ongoing performance issues
- Sync conflict reporting needs more information
- Some .Mac services gone