Apple updates Remote Desktop, adds widget
It was easy to overlook amid the Mac App Store launch and the Mac OS X 10.6.6 update that accompanied the store, but Apple also posted updates for its remote desktop management software Thursday. In addition to the client and admin updates for Apple Remote Desktop, the company introduced a new dashboard widget that provides an at-a-glance view of remote computers.
The Apple Remote Desktop Dashboard Widget works with the Apple Remote Desktop software to provide quick information about computers in a given network. The widget is integrated with the administrative application, Apple says, which allows users to work with any computer in the system with a simple click.
The 1.54MB widget requires a licensed copy of Apple Remote Desktop. It runs on Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later.
Apple Remote Desktop 3Macworld Rating
- Convenient remote Spotlight searching
- Powerful management tools
- Can encrypt communications and file transfers
- Very cool Dashboard widget
- Remote drag-and-drop copying
- Meager application reporting feature
- Sometimes hard to drag files into a remote window