Apple releases Safari 5.0.4 update
Product mentioned in this article
While everybody with a compatible iOS device is busy downloading the iOS 4.3 update released Wednesday, Apple also issued an update to its Safari 5 Web browser.
Safari 5.0.4 contains improvements to stability, compatibility, accessibility and security, specifically:
- Improved stability for webpages with multiple instances of plug-in content
- Improved compatibility with webpages with image reflections and transition effects
- A fix for an issue that could cause some webpages to print with incorrect layouts
- A fix for an issue that could cause content to display incorrectly on webpages with plug-ins
- A fix for an issue that could cause a Screen Saver to appear while video is playing in Safari
- Improved compatibility with VoiceOver on webpages with text input areas and lists with selectable items
- Improved stability when using VoiceOver
Safari 5.0.4 is available now via Software Update or from Apple’s Support Downloads site (although at the time this story was posted, the link still went to Safari 5.0.3).
You can find the complete list of security fixes on Apple’s Website. The Safari updates comes on the same day that the Pwn2Own 2011 security competition begins, during which contestants try to find security holes in Safari, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.
[Updated at 11:09AM pacific to include link to Apple security document for Safari 5.0.4]