Apple releases Aperture 3.1.2 update
On Tuesday, Apple released an update for Aperture 3 that addresses some lingering issues with importing iPhoto libraries. It is recommended for all Aperture 3 users.
Aperture 3.1.2 has the usual "overall stability and performance" improvement touted in every Aperture update, along with specific fixes for iPhoto compatibility, image importing, library, and adjustment issues. There are 14 fixes total on Apple's list, seven of which are for processes that caused Aperture 3 to freeze or quit unexpectedly.
Importing large librairies from iPhoto into Aperture 3 has been a sticking point since the original version of Aperture 3 was released. This update claims to resolve the problem of a large import causing Aperture to quit. It also improves how albums in folders, slideshows with text slides, and raw images are imported.
Adjustments have been tweaked to fix freezing and quitting issues that happened while using brushes and the Retouch tool. Two library problems have been addressed: losing connections to master images, and Aperture quitting while switching libraries.
A variety of other small bugs are addressed in the update, a complete list of which can be found on Apple's support site and in the list below.
The 3.1.2 update is 298MB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.6 or later. It is available for immediate download through Software Update or from Apple's support site, or as Mac App Store update.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when importing large iPhoto libraries.
- Aperture now correctly handles albums contained in folders when importing iPhoto 9.1.1 libraries.
- Improves reliability when importing iPhoto 9 libraries that include slideshows containing text slides.
- RAW images imported from iPhoto 9 libraries no longer show the Reprocess brick in Adjustments.
- Addresses an issue that could cause Aperture to stop responding when attempting to process damaged images.
- Olympus E-5 images with a 3:4 aspect ratio now import with the correct rotation.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent referenced images from being reconnected.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when switching libraries.
- Resolves an issue that could cause your Mac to become unresponsive when using brushes.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when using Retouch.
- Addresses an issue that could cause the white balance value for certain RAW images to be displayed incorrectly.
- Fixes an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when panning a zoomed image.
- Addresses compatibility of exported XMP Sidecar files with third-party applications.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Aperture to quit unexpectedly when using Align to Beats in a slideshow.
Product mentioned in this article
Amazon Shop buttons are programmatically attached to all reviews, regardless of products' final review scores. Our parent company, IDG, receives advertisement revenue for shopping activity generated by the links. Because the buttons are attached programmatically, they should not be interpreted as editorial endorsements.