Apple issues firmware update for 802.11ac-equiped AirPort base stations
According to Apple, the 7.7.2 update fixes the following:
- When a USB hard drive connected to an AirPort Extreme does not appear as an available disk in Time Machine;
- An issue that causes a loss in WAN connectivity;
- An issue that causes a network loop.
To install the update, you need to use the AirPort Utility on a Mac, which is usually installed in the Applications > Utilities folder. Launch the app, and it will list the AirPort base stations on the network and any updates that are available. Then select the device, and click the Update button. You can also perform the update using the Airport Utility iOS app on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Apple offers a support document on installing AirPort base station firmware updates if you’d like more information.
Apple's AirPort Time Capsule is a strong 802.11ac router that provides 2TB of shared storage for media and client backups. Read the full review
- Very fast TCP throughput, thanks to its 802.11ac support
- Three send and three receive antennas for each band (2.4- and 5GHz)
- Integrated 2TB hard drive
- An apparent bug in OS X is throttling real-world file-transfer speed
- Slightly noisy cooling fan