||MACWORLD 2010 BEST OF SHOW WINNER!
SkySafari 2 was "the most comprehensive astronomy app available for iOS" (iPhone Life, March-April 2011). Now, SkySafari version 3 comes in three versions, and all three offer more than their previous counterparts.
This is basic version of SkySafari 3. It shows you 120,000 stars, plus 220 of the best-known star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies in the sky. It displays the Solar System's major planets and moons using NASA spacecraft imagery, and includes the best-known asteroids and comets.
SkySafari 3 accurately shows you the sky from any place on Earth, at any time up to one million years in the past or future. It includes encyclopedic descriptions of the constellations, stars, and planets written by professional astronomers. And it contains hundreds of images from NASA space missions, the Hubble Space Telescope, and the world's foremost astro-photographers.
If you have an iPhone/iPad with a compass, or an iPod Touch with a gyroscope, SkySafari can help you identify stars and planets by holding your phone next to them. Tap the Compass/Gyro button (or shake your phone) to activate the compass - now, as you move the phone around, the sky chart follows your motion. Search for any object in the sky, and follow the arrow on screen to find it!
SkySafari 3 has a "Night" button to preserve your dark adaptation as you're exploring the night sky. The Time Flow feature lets you animate the night sky using simple VCR controls - follow the motion of the stars and planets as SkySafari compresses days, months, and years into a few seconds.
SkySafari 3 includes SkyWeek - the mobile version of Sky & Telescope Magazine's super-popular "Sky at a Glance" column. SkyWeek features interactive sky charts for each day of the week, and links to more articles on S&T's website. SkyWeek shows you all major sky events: eclipses, conjunctions, good meteor showers — miss nothing!
And all this is just in the basic version! Don't be afraid to start small - you'll end with the universe at your fingertips! SkySafari's streamlined user interface puts both power and simplicity into your hands - and turns your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch into an invaluable tool for exploring the night sky. SkySafari is more than just a star chart - it's a celestial travel guide!
WHAT'S NEW in SkySafari 3 (since SkySafari Lite 2.1):
1) Spectacular new horizon panoramas, improved Sun glow, horizon glow, and sunset effects give SkySafari a dramatic new appearance.
2) A scrolling toolbar gives you easy access to common functions. Swipe the toolbar to access new Compass, Gyro, and Night Vision icons - and more!
3) Realistically-sized images of the Messier objects are now visible directly in the sky chart.
4) Artistic illustrations of all 88 constellations smoothly fade in and out of view as you pan around the sky chart.
5) "Momentum" when you swipe the sky chart now gives it a much smoother, "iPhone-like" feel.
6) Animated panning to selected objects now provides a much better sense of where they are located in the sky.
7) Support for the gyroscope built into the iPhone 4, 4G iPod Touch, and iPad 2 now provides much smoother motion tracking.
9) "Tonight's Best" - a list of the brightest and most important objects visible in tonight's sky - is customized for your location, date, and time.
10) Night vision mode has numerous improvements, including a Night Vision toolbar button.
11) A new "Center" button in the main toolbar makes it easier to center the selected object in the sky chart, and keep it locked there.
12) The selected object now stays locked at chart center, instead of flying off screen, when running time flow animation in small fields of view.
13) Other interface improvements include an option to always show the