Mr. Markus Mock isn’t mocking when he asks if there’s something up with Sherlock. He writes:
Recently—I believe after one of the OS X Tiger updates—Sherlock stopped working for me. It now hangs on all channels and also seems to be confused about the display language, e.g., the “stocks” channel is sometimes shown in Spanish (bolsa (EE. UU) or in German. I’ve tried deleting the Sherlock preference file in ~/Library/ Preferences but that only seemed to make matters worse. Is there a way to reinstall or otherwise get back a working Sherlock?
I have to be honest with you, I haven’t fired up Sherlock in, well, I can’t remember when. But Markus’ problem intrigued me so fire it up I did and after clicking on the stocks entry, Sherlock crashed like it was 1929.
With that I headed over to Apple’s Discussion Forums to see if others were having problems with Tiger and Sherlock and, sure enough, this was not an isolated problem. Thankfully, one “Spacesuiter” had the answer to my problem and, hopefully, Markus’.
Go to youruserfolder/Library/Caches/Sherlock/Web Foundations and toss the contents of the Web Foundations folder. Now click on that folder, press Command-I to bring up the Info window, and enable the Locked option.
After doing this my copy of Sherlock opened and behaved itself quite nicely. Maybe yours will too!