With the last installment of this year’s Eddy Awards appearing today, it’s the culmination of months of work by the editors at Macworld . And since these awards are extremely important to the folks who make Mac hardware and software, it’s a process we take very seriously.
Ah, but what do you do when one of your favorite products gets cut from the list on a technicality? You create your own awards.
I’m a big fan of PodXT Live—a guitar digital stompbox from Line 6. And, throughout the painstaking Eddy selection process, I argued on behalf of giving it a statue. It was all set to happen, too—until our cross-checking indicated that PodXTLive shipped in October 2004, outside of our November 1, 2004-to-November 1, 2005 eligibility period.
It’s a shame, since, in terms of a guitar hardware product, nothing can compare to the PodXT Live. So I’m taking a stand against The Man (or, more accurately, my boss) and giving my own award to PodXT Live. And, lest I be accused of favoritism for honoring just one winner in the first annual Jimmy Awards, I’m selecting several recipients:
• PodXT Live: Guitarists have been tempted to go digital for their effects, but have resisted since most digital effects processors can’t match the sound from traditional foot pedals. The PodXT Live pedal board eliminates that resistance for this guitarist—it assembles more than 80 stompbox and studio effects combined with 36 amp models. I’ve been able to produce a seemingly limitless variety of tones. In addition, you can edit every aspect of a tone on the pedal board, allowing you to add effects or adjust an existing effect. For fine-tuning an effect, the included OS X 10.4–compatible software lets you manipulate sounds and effects right down to how far away the microphone is from the amplifier.
• Zakk Wylde: Zakk wins because he is just the best damn guitarist in the world.
• Gibson Guitars: They make Zakk’s custom Les Paul. Even if they didn’t, there is nothing like a Les Paul.
• Boston Bruins: Well, they’ve got to win something this year.
• Heineken Beer: Without you, my dear friend, many of these awards would not have been possible.
If you’ve noticed that one of your favorite Mac products missed out on an Editors’ Choice Award, I invite you to hand out your own trophy in the Comments to this blog entry.