With the recent announcement of Adobe Creative Suite 4, users may find themselves looking to brush-up on their application skills before diving in to all the new features of CS4 apps—especially now that the updated apps are available for download, with boxed copies shipping soon.
I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite sites which offer tutorials, tips and news for the applications comprised in the Creative Suite Design Premium package. My list is by no means complete, so if you wish to add your favorites, please do so in the forum thread below.
• AdobeTV : Adobe offers streaming video tips, tutorials, demos and inspirational material for all the Adobe Creative Suite applications. You will need either the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, or Adobe Media Player to watch the videos.
• WebAppers : WebAppers hunts down the latest and coolest open-source resources for Web developers and designers.
• Lynda : The king of all tutorial sites with more than 30,000 video tutorials and online courses covering all the Creative Suite applications and more. If you need to learn an application, Lynda.com is simply the best place to go. Subscriptions start at $25 per month, but also offers over 4,000 free sample tutorial videos.
• PhotoshopUser TV : This site offers the ultimate collection of video podcasts pertaining to Adobe Photoshop.
• PSHero : I like this site because of its highly useful tutorials for every-day creative projects. The tutorials generally show off techniques you can use on virtually any imaging project.
• PSDTuts : Arguably the most popular Photoshop tutorial site on the Web, PSDTuts offers quality, easy-to-follow tutorials, helping you achieve spectacular effects. The site also offers a community link feed giving you even more Photoshop goodness.
• PhotoshopStar : You’ll find great tutorials and an informative blog covering Photoshop news and resources.
• Abduzeedo : Another wildly popular Photoshop blog/tutorial site, this is the place to go for inspirational imagery, interviews and Photoshop resources.
• Dreamweaver Tutorial & Article Index : Adobe’s own site offers a pretty comprehensive list of tutorials and resources for working with Dreamweaver.
• WZ2K : This site features hundreds of video and written tutorials.
• AdobeTutorialz : They still call it Macromedia Dreamweaver, but no matter what you call it, they have a great collection of tutorials to learn Dreamweaver.
• FlashPerfection : This site provides an exhaustive collection that can keep you reading for weeks on a wide range of Flash-related material, including Actionscript, animation, effects, and optimizing your Flash content.
• EntheosWeb - A well-organized collection of tips, tutorials and other Flash resources. The site offers plenty of short & sweet tutorials for users of all skill levels.
• Oman3D : Offering a small, but very well done collection of tutorials, Oman3D can teach you specific tasks in Flash such as creating an advanced Flash image gallery.
For more great Flash tutorials, be sure to check out Smashing Magazine’s “best of” list of cool Flash tutorials.
• VectorTuts : The sister-site to PSDTuts, this fairly new destination has already grabbed a large audience—and with good reason. VectorTuts offers some really great tutorials, as well as tips, and a community link feed for finding further Illustrator resources.
• Vectips : The Illustrator blog by Ryan Putnam offers tips, tricks and tutorials for vector fans. Rather than overloading readers with endless lists of mediocre tutorials, Vectips offers quality content at a more leisurely pace. This is one of my personal favorites.
• AIVault : The Vault not only offers tips for vector artists, but news and free resources in the blog.
Want more vector info? Try visiting TutorialOutpost for a huge list of links to Illustrator tutorials from around the Web. Also be sure to pay a visit to Bittbox’s Illustrator Archive, where you’ll find tips, tricks, and downloads of some really cool brushes, symbols and other vector art. Bittbox is definitely worth a weekly visit!
• InDesign Secrets : The top resource for all things InDesign, the site offers tips, news and even an InDesign Podcast, earning a weekly visit from me.
• TheInDesigner : Michael Murphy not only offers timely news for my favorite page layout application, but a great podcast called TheInDesigner.
• InDesign Central : Refreshing the page at this Web site loads a new tip each time. The tips cover InDesign CS, CS2 and CS3, as well as the brand new CS4.
Get your free InDesign Tip of the Week from InDesign Magazine. Of course, you can also subscribe to the PDF magazine while you’re there. I’ve been receiving the magazine in my inbox for the last year and find it to be very good reading. You might also check out Seneca Design & Training for all sorts of InDesign tutorials, techniques and resources.
[James Dempsey runs The Graphic Mac, which offers tips, tricks and more on all the Adobe Creative Suite apps.]