To The Seybold Community:
For the past week we at Key3Media Group and Seybold Seminars have all been in shock over the events of September 11. Our thoughts as business people, as family members and as travelers have been completely focused on the fate of our fellow Americans.
But now it’s time to get back to work–our President has asked us to, our spiritual leaders have asked us to, and the world business community expects us to. In that regard, we are moving ahead on holding Seybold San Francisco next week at Moscone Center.
Many of you have to make difficult decisions about traveling, about leaving your families and about just what level of risk and inconvenience is acceptable. We understand that. Accordingly, we encourage you to work with us in finding the balance that shows your commitment to our marketplace and the global economy, but also to your personal and family values.
A few important points:
* The City of San Francisco supports our decision and is working with us and the hotel community to assure a safe and productive environment. We are working directly with the Moscone Center, the San Francisco Police Department and our private security forces on the correct plan for these difficult times.
* We are building a “community wall” as part of the event where each of you can express your thoughts on our industry and our country. We will also have special events planned to assure we show proper balance and respect for the victims of this tragedy.
* We have extended deadlines as much as possible to accommodate extra travel and shipping issues, and we will work one-on-one with every client and customer to solve unexpected problems.
* We are putting out extra media alerts and working with the media to help them see the strong commitment our exhibitors and attendees are making to get back to work.
* We do understand that not everyone can make the same commitment they had originally planned. We will gladly allow transfers of registrations to colleagues, co-workers, etc., and are issuing full letters of credit to those who cannot attend.
We know this is going to be difficult. We know some of you may disagree with our decision to move forward. But we feel strongly that a quick return to business is, in fact, the only response we can make. And it’s the right response. We have had many emails in the past few days from Seybold community members applauding our decision and pledging support.
Adobe Systems, Xerox, Ricoh, IKON and many other companies have already called to say they will be there! We hope we can depend on you, too.
Please contact any member of our team or me directly with your thoughts, concerns and challenges. It’s not “business as usual.” It’s completely different now. But together, we can move forward.