Apple recently migrated the Apple Software Updates resource to the AppleCare Knowledge Base. Charlie McCabe, manager of AppleCare Web Publishing, recently sent around some notes to Mac Web publications with some helpful tips for readers interested in using the service at its new home. MacCentral is presenting this message in its entirety below:
Apple Software Updates to Knowledge Base
Migration Tips, Helpful Articles, keyword searching
1) Apple ID is required for the knowledge base as it has been for discussions and the new My Info area (access to change profile, products registration, agreements, support cases history and check repair status) Login is only required the first time as a cookie (named Apple ID) is stored in your browser. After that, as long as the cookie remains, no login is required. Discussions and later Knowledge Base have required cookies and Apple ID for nearly a year.
Apple abides by
Support Help page .
2) In terms of searching for software downloads, we provide a couple of general pages and a few keywords.
- For recent software downloads, go to:
https://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n75150 (asu.info.apple.com redirects to a static version of this article for now.)
- for a general overview of Apple Software Downloads, check this article:
- The keyword for searching for all software downloads is
kbdload – Use the Expert search to quickly obtain a list of software downloads or combine the keyword with other text (mac os, imac, firmware, etc.)
The expert search page is at:
- the keyword for searching for Mac OS related updates is
Further information on constructing searches in the Expert Search Page, along with a complete list of all keywords is available at:
https://www.info.apple.com/help/knowledgebase/advanced_help.html or by clicking on the Help button in the Knowledge Base. 3) A list of updated articles by date may be obtained in the knowledge base by searching by a given date on the Expert Search Page. For example, searching by 6/27/01 will present a listing of all articles created or updated on that day.