At a Glance
- Classic design
- Bright and environmentally friendly screen
- Much improved graphics performance
- 2GB of RAM, which is expandable to 4GB
- Excellent overall performance
- Some software needs tuning for new graphics chip
- No PCMCIA slot or eSATA port
The MacBook Pro gets a new chipset, which means processor bumps, a faster frontside bus, and more RAM capacity. However, the more significant refinements in this update are improvements to the display — this 15-inch model’s LCD is backlit by light-emitting diodes for improved battery life and less environmental impact — and a new graphics system powered by the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT.
Current MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo owners will want to skip this upgrade, but owners of the original MacBook Pro and PowerBook will see a dramatic performance boost. Of the two 15-inch models, the $1,999 configuration is a better bargain than its $2,499 counterpart.