Just two days after releasing iOS 14.3 with several significant new features like ProRAW photos and Fitness+, Apple started the beta testing process for iOS 14.4.
Typically, a full point-release update (from 14.3 to 14.4) has significant new user-facing features or changes, while minor releases (from 14.3 to 14.3.1) are mostly bug fixes and security updates. This time, even though Apple went up a full point-release number, the update appears to consist mostly of bug fixes and security updates, with only the smallest of feature changes for users.
Update 01/26/21: iOS 14.4 is being released today. Typically it becomes available around 10am Pacific Time, but can take an hour or two to be available in your region.
What’s new in iOS 14.4
The full release notes for iOS 14.4 are as follows:
- Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
- Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
- Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
- Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
- Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
- The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
- Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
- Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen
How to get iOS 14.4
Open Settings, then tap on General, then Software Update. When the release is available, it will be shown here in link to install it.