Adele Higgins asks:
I somehow removed the Documents category from the Finder’s menu list on the far left of the screen on my MacBook Air. How do I get that category to display again?
You have two methods for certain special folders and items. I’ll explain the specific first, and then the generic way to add any folder.
- In the Finder, select Finder > Preferences.
- Click the Sidebar tab.
- Check any folder or special item you want in the sidebar, like Documents or All My Files.
- Drag in the Sidebar to rearrange the order in which items appear.
If the folder you want in the sidebar isn’t in that list, you can use this generic method:
- Navigate to the directory in which the folder appears.
- Drag the folder into the sidebar.
- While still dragging make sure you’re seeing a blue insert line, rather than another item’s highlight, which would move the folder you’re dragging into that other item.
Ask Mac 911
We’ve compiled a list of the questions we get asked most frequently along with answers and links to columns: read our super FAQ to see if your question is covered. If not, we’re always looking for new problems to solve! Email yours to email@example.com including screen captures as appropriate. Mac 911 can’t reply to—nor publish an answer to—every question, and we don’t provide direct troubleshooting advice.