If you use Microsoft PowerPoint on your Mac, you can save the presentations you create and open them in Keynote, Apple’s presentation app. It’s a handy feature to use in case you can’t access Microsoft’s apps.
Every Mac comes with Apple’s iWork apps: Pages (word processor), Numbers (spreadsheet), and Keynote (presentations). And these apps can import Office documents. Here’s how you can open Word documents in Pages, as well as export Pages documents for use in Word.
How to import Microsoft PowerPoint presentation into Apple Keynote
This procedure works with .pptx and .ppt file formats.
- Launch Keynote (it’s in the Applications folder of your Mac).
- In the window that automatically opens when you launch the app, navigate to the location of your PowerPoint file. For example, if it’s in Documents, click on the Documents folder in the left sidebar. (You can also click on the File menu and select Open, then navigate to your presentation.)
- Once you’ve located your file, select it and click Open.
- A window may appear, explaining any changes that were made during the import process. The more complicate your PowerPoint presentation (formatting, fonts, images, etc.), the higher the possibility that a change had to be made. The simpler the document, the more your file will resemble what you created in PowerPoint.
- That’s it. The PowerPoint file should open in Keynote.
Before you start working on your presentation, look it over carefully. Formatting may have changed and you may have to fix it. There’s always a chance that so much happened during the import that you can’t use your presentation.
How to export Apple Keynote presentations as Microsoft PowerPoint documents
If you’ve been working in Pages and will eventually return to Word, you can export your document as a Word file. Here’s how.
- In Keynote, click on the File menu and move your cursor to “Export to”.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Select PowerPoint.
- In the Export Your Presentation window that appears next, you can opt to require a password. Click on the Advanced Options, and you can select between .pptx and .ppt file formats. Click Next when you have finished selecting your options.
- Choose where you want to save the file and name it.
- When you click Export, this will save the file.