Updated 04/13/18 to reflect the inventory change in the store.
Looking for a way to save some money on the latest Apple products? Consider a refurbished MacBook, refurbished iPhone, or refurbished iPad from the Apple Certified Refurbished store. A refurbished product is just like a new, but at a lower price.
Here’s a quick guide with links to the best deals you can find on the refurb store, along with a FAQ guide if you want to know more about the ins and outs of the Apple Certified Refurbished store and buying a refurbished MacBook, desktop Mac, iPhone, or iPad.
Refurbished iPhone: The best deals
As of this writing, the store has the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus available. There used to be iPhone 6s and 6s Plus models, and there are no iPhone X models. Check back if those are the phones you really want.
Which iPhone should you buy? Rose Gold is a popular color, and you can get a Rose Gold iPhone 7 in the refurb store. We’d go with the Refurbished iPhone 7 128GB - Rose Gold for $589, which is $60 less than a new model.
Other refurbished iPhones to consider
- Refurbished iPhone 7 128GB - Black
- Refurbished iPhone 7 128GB - Gold
- Refurbished iPhone 7 128GB - Jet Black
- Refurbished iPhone 7 128GB - Silver
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro: The best deals
Apple’s stock ebbs and flows. Sometimes there are several current MacBook Pro models to choose from, while other times the selection is small. Some are standard configurations, while others are customized built-to-order models.
Which 13.3-inch MacBook Pro should you buy? We like the 2017 Silver and Space Gray Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina display and 256GB SSD, each for $1,529. This is $270 less than the comparable brand-new model in either Silver or Space Gray.
This is the only 13.3-inch model Apple currently has in stock as of this writing.
Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro: The best deals
Apple offers refurbished 2015, 2016, and 2017 15.4-inch MacBook Pros. We think the better deals are with the 2017 models, so we’ll concentrate on those.
Which 15.4-inch MacBook Pro should you buy? The 2017 Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display laptop is available in Silver or Space Gray for $2,379. This is $420 less than the comparable brand-new model. We like this laptop because of the 512GB SSD.
Other refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pros to consider
- 2017 Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display in Silver or Space Gray for $2,039. This is $360 less than the comparable brand-new model.
- If you’re looking for a high-end laptop, consider the 2017 Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display in Silver or Space Gray for $3,569. This laptop has 16GB of memory, a 2TB SSD, and a 4GB Radeon Pro 560 graphics card. You have to customize your purchase to see what a new version of this laptop would be priced at: $4,199. So you’d save a nice chunk of change ($630 to be exact) with a refurbished model.
Refurbished MacBook: The best deals
Apple’s stock on this model is very limited.
Which MacBook should you buy? As of this writing, there is only one model available: a 2015 Refurbished 12-inch MacBook 1.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core M, available in Gold and with a 512GB of flash storage for $1,319.
It’s difficult to recommend this model; the 2017 MacBook with a 1.2GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core m3 processor is a much better performer than this 2015 MacBook. Though the 2017 model is $20 cheaper at $1,299, it has a smaller 256GB of flash storage. If you value file storage space over performance, consider the 2015 refurbished model.
Refurbished MacBook Air: The best deals
The refurb store sells only 13.3-inch models from 2015 and 2017—sorry, no 11-inch models.
Other refurbished MacBook Airs to consider
- MacBook Air with a 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 with 512GB of storage for $1,319, which is $230 lower than the brand-new version, a build-to-order model.
Refurbished iPad: The best deals
The refurb store can be a good place to save some money on an iPad, though might actually find better deals on brand-new iPads from Best Buy and other non-Apple retailers.
Other refurbished iPads to consider
- 2017 Refurbished 9.7-inch iPad Wi-Fi 128GB in Gold, Silver or Space Gray. It’s $309, which is $90 lower than the original price. (Note that this is not the new model with Apple Pencil support.)
- 2017 Refurbished 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 512GB in Gold, Silver or Space Gray. $979, which is $170 lower than the original price.
Refurbished Apple Watch: The best deals
The refurb store has limited stock of the 2017 Series 3 Apple Watch models with GPS (no cellular). You can also get Series 2 and Series 1 Apple Watches.
Which Apple Watch should you buy? Take a look at the Refurbished Apple Watch Series 3 GPS Space Gray Aluminum Case with Black Sport Band, available in 38mm ($279) and 42mm ($309) sizes. They’re $50 lower than the new models.
Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac: The best deals
The refurb store finally has a few 2017 21.5-inch iMacs, after only having 2015 models.
- 2017 Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 3.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 4K display for $1,099. This is $200 lower than the original price. A pretty good deal.
- 2017 Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 for $929. A $170 savings over the original price. This iMac has a standard display with a screen resolution 1920x1080 pixels.
Refurbished 27-inch iMac: The best deals
The refurb inventory of the 27-inch iMac is limited. Act quickly.
Which 27-inch iMac should you buy? Apple is selling the 2017 Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 5K display for $1,949, which is $350 off a new version.
Refurbished Mac mini: The best deals
As of this writing, Apple has no refurbished Mac mini models in stock. Check back at a later date to see if the inventory gets replenished.
Refurbished Mac Pro: The best deals
The Mac Pro hasn’t changed much since its release in 2013. Apple refreshed the line last April, but all it did was increase the number of cores used in each model. The lack of drastic changes means you can get a good deal on a refurbished model.
- Refurbished Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 for $2,549. This is the current low-end Mac Pro, and a brand new model costs $450 more.
- Refurbished Mac Pro 3.0GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 for $3,399. The brand-new version of this Mac is $600 more.
Refurbished Apple TV: The best deals
If you want an Apple TV 4K, act now. The refurbished store has the Refurbished Apple TV 4K 32GB for $149, which is $30 cheaper than a new model. You can also get a Refurbished Apple TV (4th generation) 32GB for $129, which is $20 lower than the original price.