Here’s what to do if your Apple TV isn’t working and you think that Wi-Fi problems are the cause of the issue.
- First up you need to check that your Internet connection is working. Try connecting to the web using another device that’s on the same network as your Apple TV. If you are able to connect to the web via your iPhone or Mac, then the issue is unique to your Apple TV. If you think that your Wi-Fi network is down read this:
How to fix Mac Wi-Fi problems.
- On your Apple TV 4K or 4th generation Apple TV (with the App Store) go to Settings > Network.
- If you have an older Apple TV, go to Settings > General > Network.
- Check you are connected to the correct network. If you aren’t, choose the correct Wi-Fi network and enter your Wi-Fi password when asked.
- If the network you are trying to connect to is a captive network your Apple TV won’t be able to use it. Captive networks, like those in hotels, schools, universities and coffee shops require a secondary login and that isn’t possible to perform on an Apple TV.
- After logging into the Wi-Fi network see if the Apple TV now works.
- If it still doesn’t work, restart your Apple TV. To restart a fourth generation or 4K Apple TV, go to Settings > System and select Restart. To restart an older Apple TV go to Settings > General and choose Restart.
- Also restart the router and modem and unplug them before plugging them back in.
- If the Apple TV still isn’t connecting to your Wi-Fi network, try using an Ethernet cable to connect your Apple TV to the network.
- Once connected, check for software updates at Settings > System > Software Updates on a 4th generation or 4K Apple TV, or in Settings > General > Update Software. It could be that there is a software update that would fix the issue you are experiencing.
- If there is a software update available, install it. After installing the software update, unplug your Ethernet cable and attempt to join the Wi-Fi network again.
- If the Wi-Fi still isn’t working, but you are able to connect to the web via the ethernet cable, you may need to continue using an Ethernet connection, it may be that your Wi-Fi signal is too weak in the location of your Apple TV.
For help setting up your Apple TV read:
How to set up an Apple TV
We also have an article on
streaming content from your iPhone to your Mac.
How to use an Apple TV without Wi-Fi
Unfortunately it’s not possible to use an Apple TV if you aren’t connected to a network.
It’s not even possible to connect your Apple TV to a
Hotspot created from your iPhone.
If the Wi-Fi network you are trying to connect too isn’t appropriate for the Apple TV (e.g. its a captive network like the kind mentioned above – likely if you are in a hotel) you will need to find another Wi-Fi network to connect your Apple TV to.
Some education or business networks use a profile. You might be able to use Apple Configurator to install a configuration profile on your Apple TV – Apple explains how to do that
We also have an article on
how to improve a WiFi signal.