Having issues with a HomePod? We’ve had a few and we’ll share the fixes we discovered when we were troubleshooting it below. If you have any issues with yoru HomePod that we haven’t addressed then share them in the comments below.
What to do if your iPhone can’t see HomePod
During our initial set up, we had a lot of issues with our iPhone and HomePod not playing nicely together. Eventually we concluded that it was a firewall issue in our office. Here are a few of the steps we tried before we were able to get both devices talking to each other.
- Unplug the HomePod and plug it in again.
- Turn your iPhone (or iPad) off and on again.
- If the set up wizard still hasn’t appeared, open the Home app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the + symbol in the top right of the Home app and choose Add Accessory.
- Now hold your iPhone near the HomePod.
- If you still aren’t seeing the HomePod, check that the WiFi network you are connected to doesn’t have a Firewall.
- All being well that will solve your issue and you will be able to continue setting up your HomePod. If you have further issues comment below.
How to change the WiFi network your HomePod is on
What you can’t do is go to the HomePod setting and change the WiFi network details.
The HomePod will automatically adjust to be on the same WiFi network as your iPhone or iPad.
If you want to change the WiFi network your HomePod is accessing you can do so on your iPhone. Open Settings > WiFi and choose the new network.
What to do if HomePod isn’t showing up as an AirPlay source
If you don’t see HomePod as an available device when using AirPlay run through these checks:
- Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on on your iPhone.
- Check that WiFi is turned on on your iPhone. Ensure that the WiFi network is not protected by a Firewall as that may affect the ability to use AirPlay.
- Failing that, try turning the devices off and on again.
- It may be that you haven’t finished the set up procedure, having skipped the Transfer Settings step, in that case, reset the HomePod as below and go through the setup steps again.
- Read about
how to play music on HomePod without subscribing to Apple Music here.
How to reset HomePod
We address that here:
How to reset HomePod.