Mac security software adds another layer of protection onto what Apple provides already with features that can help to protect your identity, passwords and financial details. These are the thing that criminals are after, and they’ll often use cunning ways to extract them rather than spending time trying to break past Apple’s defences in macOS.
Although some of the packages here are solely focused on macOS, others will also protect Android and Windows devices you might also own, and that makes the price of protection much cheaper per computer.
Good security software should warn you before you click on a dangerous website, or open a ‘phishing’ email with a dodgy attachment, which could trick you into handing over your bank details, passwords or other sensitive information.
If you are in two minds about whether you need protection you might like to read Do Macs need antivirus software?
Best antivirus for Mac
You’ll find the following Mac antivirus recommendations in our round up of the
Best antivirus for Mac.
Here are our top Mac antivirus recommendations:
- Intego Mac Internet Security X9 – currently $24.99/£20.99 a year for one Mac, get the deal here.
- Clario Antivirus 1.5 for Mac – $50/£50 a year (54% off the usual price of $107.88/107.88 a year), get the deal here.
- McAfee Total Protection – currently five devices are $39.99 for one year in the US, and £39.99 a year for one years in the UK, get the US deal here / get the UK deal here.
- Norton 360 Deluxe – currently $49.99/£29.99 a year for five devices, get the deal here.
- Avast Premium Security – currently $50.28/£39.99 a year for one Mac, get the US deal here / get the UK deal here.
- Bitdefender Total Security – currently 78%/38% off, $19.99 a year for five devices in the US, or £24.99 a year for three devices in the UK, get the US deal here / get the UK deal here.
Best free antivirus for Mac
There are a number of companies offering free antivirus software for Mac. You should always be cautious using a free antivirus and don’t expect all the features of the paid for options.
- Avast Security for Mac – offers a free option alongside the Premium plan. Get it here.
- Avira Free Antivirus for Mac – is free and also includes a VPN. Get it here.
- AVG Antivirus For Mac – free version offers basic features. Get it here.
- Bitdefender Virus Scanner for Mac – is free to use. Get it here.
- Malwarebytes Antivirus for Mac – has a free version as well as a paid version. Get it here.
- Sophos Home – there’s a free plan, plus you can get the full version for 30 days trial. Get it here.
Best antivirus deals for Mac
The above are our top recommendations, but you can save even more money than that. Check our the best deals we’ve seen below.
Top 10 Antivirus Deals
Intego Mac Internet Security X9 – 1 year, 1 Mac
(50% / 58% off)
Intego is our top pick for Mac antivirus. It’s the fastest we’ve reviewed, and has an impressive clean-up rate. It comes with a brilliant firewall, too.
Intego has just over 50% off right now. The RRP is usually $49.99/£49.99 for one year/one Mac, but it’s $24.99/£20.99 right now.
Read our review: Intego Mac Internet Security X9 review (2021)
Bitdefender Antivirus For Mac – 1 Year, 3 Devices
Norton 360 Deluxe – 1 Year, 5 Devices
Was: $104.99 / £84.99
$49.99 / £29.99
($55 / £55 off)
Norton is one of our top antivirus picks, so it’s good news that you can get the first 12 months for only $49.99 / £29.99 which saves you $55 / £55.
Do note that the renewal price is $104.99/£84.99 per year after that.
Alternatively, you could take out a two-year subscription (you’ll find this option on the same page) and get two years for $89.99/£89.99 ($44.99/£44.99 a year) which sounds like a worse deal, but don’t forget you’re getting a discount on both years, not just the first, so it is cheaper overall.
Read our review: Norton 360 Deluxe review
Trend Micro Antivirus For Mac – 1 Year, 1 Device
From: Trend Micro
Was: $39.95 / £49.95
$29.95 / £19.95
(25% off US / 60% off UK)
Clario Antivirus 1.5 for Mac
Was: $107.88 a year
$50 a year
Clario is offering its Mac antivirus software for $50 a year – which is 54% off the usual price of $107.88 a year.
The UK pricing is equivalent – normally £107.88 a year, currently discounted to £50 a year.
F-Secure Total – 3 devices
(25% off / 50% off)
F-Secure is offering a great discount on F-Secure Total. Cover three devices for $67.49/£49.99 (RRP:$89.99/ £79.99).
You can also cover five devices for $82.40/£59.99 (RRP $109.99/£99.99).Get the US deal here
Read our review: F-Secure Total review
Panda Dome Essential 2021 – 1 Year, 1 Device
From: Panda Security
Panda Dome Essentials includes top-rated antivirus protection, plus a VPN (albeit with only 150MB of data to use per day).
Panda will protect one device for one year for $28.79/£20.99, which is a decent saving off the RRP of $47.99/£34.99.Get the US deal here
Avira Antivirus Pro – 1 Year, 1 Device
Avira is well known for its free antivirus which is available for macOS as well as Windows. It’s very effective, too and if you pay for the Pro version you get official support, more regular updates, plus email and web protection.
Read our review: Avira Antivirus Pro review
How to find a good antivirus deal
It can be tricky to know where to start with antivirus. Protecting your tech from malware, ransomware and other cyber attacks is such an important thing to do, but most of the services available appear to be very similar to one another, so it’s hard to understand which are the most secure, and which are the best value.
You can rest assured that we will only share deals here if we think they’re good enough to be worth buying. Everything we share here will be a great saving on a service we trust.
We recommend taking a look at our article all about the
best Mac antivirus to help you get a better understanding of which services we like most.
You’ll find that antivirus discounts can be huge, often at more than half price for your Mac or mobile devices. Do note that these are typically first-year deals, and at renewal you’ll pay the regular price.